Braised Chicken in Artichoke-Mushroom Sauce
This recipe is from the cookbook Against All Grain and I used this blog for the instructions below. The chicken came out so delicious. I want to make chicken this way from now on! It's more moist than roast chicken and the sauce was so good!
- 6 TBS butter, ghee, bacon fat, etc.
About 3- 4 lbs chicken quarters, drumsticks, or thighs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp each of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper
- 1/2 lb slice crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 TBS coconut flour
- 2 13 oz can marinated artichoke hearts (mostly drained)
- 1 large leek, cleaned thoroughly and white parts sliced into coins
Preheat your oven to 375.
Season the chicken with the above seasonings. Put your Dutch oven on the stovetop at a medium heat, and brown your chicken pieces in the butter.
Set the chicken aside when they are browned and toss the mushrooms, garlic and leeks into the butter mixture that is simmering in the pot. Brown those for a minute, then add the chicken broth, vinegar, honey and coconut flour. Cook that on the stovetop at medium for about 10 minutes, then throw your chicken back in the pot along with that can of artichoke hearts. Put the lid on your Dutch oven and cook in the oven for about 45 – 50 minutes.